Carpe Diem -- Seize the Day!
It is the first day of the rest of your life.
If not now, when?
If not me, who?
This is the age of responsibility and it begins with ME!
Focus on American Values
and their attendant responsibilities. Understand:
1. Principles of a democracy
2. Constitutional concepts
3. Requirement of citizens
None of US is as good as
all of us!
Develop personal skills
1. Compassion and empathy
2. Understand multiple perspectives
3. Examine own feelings and values,
capabilities and shortcomings developing a healthy, mature concept of
4. Recognize ones own prejudices
5. See people as individuals, not
6. Balance facts and feelings, the
intellectual and the emotional
Develop group interaction
1. Listen to differing views
2. Participate in group decision-making
3. Develop skills of persuading,
compromising, debating, negotiating
4. Resolve conflicts, confront
controversy to find reasonable solutions
Develop social and
political participation skills
1. Identify issues requiring social
2. Commitment to accept social
3. Willingness to assume leadership
4. Willingness to accept consequences
of own actions
5. Willingness to work to influence
those in political power to preserve and extend justice, freedom,
equality of human rights.